Practitioner / consultant
A career with EMD Electronics is an ongoing journey of discovery: our 58,000 people are shaping how the world lives, works and plays through next generation advancements in Healthcare, Life Science and Electronics. For more than 350 years and across the world we have passionately pursued our curiosity to find novel and vibrant ways of enhancing the lives of others. EMD Electronics is a business of Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany.
Everything we do in EMD Electronics is to help us deliver on our purpose of being the company behind the companies, advancing digital living. We are dedicated to being the trusted supplier of high-tech materials, services and specialty chemicals for the electronics, automotive and cosmetics industries. We foster a global collaborative organization made up of individuals who have the passion to win, obsess about the customer, are relentlessly curious and act with urgency. Together, we push the boundaries of science to make more possible for our customers.
The New Product Development group within Electronics – Thin Film Solutions is seeking an R&D Scientist with experience in Chemistry or Chemical Engineering to join the team in Carlsbad, CA.
- Perform thermal analysis (TGA/DSC), stability testing, compatibility testing of new organosilane and organometallic materials.
- Develop new methods or techniques for thermal analysis, stability testing or compatibility testing and perform repeat testing to develop statistics.
- Work closely with synthesis, analytical, scale-up, and commercial teams to ensure database of material properties is available for internal processing and customer use.
- Collaborate with internal and external analytical teams to perform and analyze industry standard tests such as those for flammability, water reactivity.
- Handle air and moisture sensitive materials and understanding of analytical methods such as gas chromatography, mass spectroscopy and IR spectroscopy for material characterization is preferred.
- Develop or collaborate to develop new characterization methods for current or new materials based on customer feedback or technical support requests.
- Ability to work in a glove box for 2 hours at a time up to 3 times per shift
- Ability to be fitted for and periodically wear and air purifying respirator for specific tasks
Who You Are:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Chemistry or Chemical Engineering
- 1+ years industrial experience
- Bachelor’s degree in chemistry or chemical engineering with 2+ years of industrial experience
- Master’s degree in chemistry or chemical engineering with 2+ years industrial experience
- Theoretical and operational understanding of analytical techniques, such as GC, GC/MS, TGA/DSC, thermal analysis instrumentation
- Ability to troubleshoot and perform basic maintenance or repair of analytical equipment
- Knowledge of fundamentals and practical experience in the use of statistics
- Comfortable working with hazardous materials between benchtop and R&D pilot plant quantities
- Experience handling air and/or moisture sensitive materials in purge/glove boxes
- Ability to analyze and develop solutions for open-ended problems
- Experience with experimental design
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and to prioritize daily tasks to meet customer expectations
- Excellent interpersonal skills that support a diverse team environment
- Strong verbal and written communications skills
- Must demonstrate creativity and strong problem-solving skills
What we offer: With us, there are always opportunities to break new ground. We empower you to fulfil your ambitions, and our diverse businesses offer various career moves to seek new horizons. We trust you with responsibility early on and support you to draw your own career map that is responsive to your aspirations and priorities in life. Join us and bring your curiosity to life!
Curious? Apply and find more information at https://jobs.vibrantm.com
The Company is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. No employee or applicant for employment will be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military or veteran status, genetic information, gender identity, transgender status, marital status, or any other classification protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. This policy of Equal Employment Opportunity applies to all policies and programs relating to recruitment and hiring, promotion, compensation, benefits, discipline, termination, and all other terms and conditions of employment. Any applicant or employee who believes they have been discriminated against by the Company or anyone acting on behalf of the Company must report any concerns to their Human Resources Business Partner, Legal, or Compliance immediately. The Company will not retaliate against any individual because they made a good faith report of discrimination.