Rocio ALOT BARAJAS
At CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. Using the world's largest and most complex scientific instruments, they study the basic constituents of matter - fundamental particles that are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives physicists clues about how particles interact, and provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature. Find out more on http://home.cern.
Are you a dynamic, service-oriented and rigorous administrative assistant looking for a position in an international environment?
Would you like to work at the world’s leading particle physics laboratory and contribute to its effective functioning?
Come and join the Resources Coordination and Administration section in the Director’s Office in the International Relations (IR) sector at CERN!
As an administrative assistant in the Resources Coordination and Administration (RCA) section you will be the main focal point for administrative matters concerning the IR sector, serving also as the Departmental Travel Manager and Travel Arranger, and assisting with Space Management and Inventory Management activities.
You will join the RCA section, which supports the Director for International Relations, the International Relations Section Leaders, and other interlocutors in the management and planning of the sector’s material and personnel resources. The section provides administrative services, ensuring timely and accurate implementation of, and follow-up on, personnel management processes and other administrative matters.
You will work for the International Relations (IR) sector, which implements the Organization’s international relations strategy with a view to generating and securing sustained political, financial, and public support from Member States, Associate Member States and beyond for CERN’s scientific and broader societal missions.
As the IR Sector Departmental Administrative Officer and the Group Administrative Officer for two of the IR sector’s groups you will:
- Provide administrative & front-line support for all categories of the personnel in the IR sector.
- Welcome various categories of members of the personnel upon their arrival and contract start at CERN.
- Follow-up on the departure formalities of the personnel.
- Keep up to date, provide information and ensure application of the Organisation’s rules and procedures by managing subsistence claims, recording leaves, processing reimbursements.
- Liaise with the Human Resources, Finance and Administrative Processes and other CERN departments and interlocutors as needed in terms of administrative matters.
- Represent the IR sector at various admin-related forums for coordination at CERN.
- Maintain the IR sector website up to date.
- Organise IR sector events (e.g. townhalls, social events, etc.).
- Collaborate and work closely with the other members of the Resources Coordination and Administration section and the Group Administrative Officers in the IR sector.
As a back-up for the Executive Personal Assistant to the Director for International Relations during their absence, you will manage the IR Director’s front office.
As a Departmental Travel Manager and Travel Arranger you will act as a point of contact for all travellers in the sector and other travel-related interlocutors outside the IR sector.
As a Space Manager Assistant you will work closely with the IR sector Space Manager and provide organisation support to specific space management related projects/activities.
Higher administrative diploma or equivalent relevant experience in the field of office administration, business administration, administrative management or a related field.
Proven experience of administrative work in a team, preferably in an international environment.
- Knowledge of administrative rules and procedures
- Secretarial work
- Customer service
- Use of office software packages
- Event organisation and management
- Demonstrating Accountability: taking responsibility for own actions and decisions Maintaining confidentiality Using openness and honesty to interact constructively with others
- Managing Self: handling uncertainty and ambiguity calmly and effectively Taking initiative beyond regular tasks and making things happen Maintaining a positive outlook even in difficult situations; demonstrating resilience and persistence in response to setbacks and adversity
- Working in Teams: building and maintaining constructive and effective work relationships Contributing to promoting a positive atmosphere in the team through an optimistic and constructive attitude; addressing issues
- Communicating Effectively: providing others with timely information Ensuring that information, procedures and decisions are appropriately documented
- Demonstrating Flexibility: adapting quickly and resourcefully to shifting priorities and requirements Being able to demonstrate flexibility whilst abiding by all applicable rules.
Spoken and written English or French: ability to understand and speak fluently at least one of the two languages in a professional context as well as the ability to prepare/draft accurate texts at least in one of the two languages.
Basic knowledge of the other language would be an asset or an undertaking to acquire it rapidly.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 13.12.2023 midday.
Contract type: Limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
Job grade: 3-4
Job reference: IR-DO-RCA-2023-153-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Personal/Team Assistant