Executive / senior industry position
We’re BC Hydro and we have a big job to do.
Keeping the lights on for over 4 million people across the province takes a lot of talented people doing many different jobs. From working deep in a generating station, atop a power pole, or behind a desk, whatever it is that makes you tick we offer challenging careers to help you reach your potential.
We’re investing more than $2 billion per year in major capital infrastructure projects to help meet the growing demand for safe, reliable power. We’re upgrading transmission lines, building new substations, and investing in our hydroelectric generation facilities. We aim to provide meaningful and challenging work, opportunities for growth and a healthy work/life balance. We’ve been recognized for excellence and been named one of B.C.’s Top Employers and one of Canada’s Best Diversity Employers for four years in a row.
It’s our vision is to be the most trusted, innovative utility company in North America by being smart about power in all we do.
We currently have a challenging and exciting opportunity for a Senior Civil/Structural Engineer in the Stations Division. The individual shall be a Professional Engineer registered with EGBC. The successful candidate will be responsible for producing civil/structural designs related primarily to electrical substation work. The work will be in a multi-discipline team environment requiring coordination and collaboration to ensure successful project completion.
The key accountabilities for the position are:
- Structural design, analysis and detailing for Concrete, Steel, Masonry and Timber structures associated with Electrical Substations and Switching Stations such as:
- Control and feeder buildings
- Electrical equipment supports and foundations(Transformers, Circuit Breakers, etc.)
- Line termination structures and foundations
- Single pole mast structures and foundations
- Underground concrete manholes/vaults and cable duct banks
- Modification, repair and upgrade of existing substation structures
- Seismic analysis and design
- Civil design, analysis and detailing for switchyard site development such as:
- Station site preparation
- Station access road alignment and profiles
- Fill embankments and retaining walls
- Site drainage, culverts and ditches
- Oil spill catchment and containment systems
- Manage civil/structural engineering work packages of various size and complexity which include the preparation of drawings and technical specification for tender and construction
- Prepare engineering design cost estimates, technical reports and technical specification
- Provide design support during construction by resolving site queries, attending site meetings and performing site inspections
- Investigate, analyze and solve a variety of challenging or unusual problems of a civil/ structural engineering nature and develop innovative solutions with considerable independence
- Perform field investigations to assess condition of existing electrical switchyard facilities and prepare technical report/memo
- Conduct design check and review of work prepared by internal engineering staff to ensure accuracy and adherence to accepted engineering practices and BC Hydro design standards
- Act as BC Hydro's "Owner's Engineer" by reviewing and commenting on the work of external service providers to ensure designs comply to BC Hydro Standards, design practice and constructability criteria
- Civil/Structural Engineering degree recognized by Canadian Universities and EGBC
- Registered, or eligible for immediate registration, as a Professional Engineer in the Engineers and Geoscientists of BC (EGBC)
- Minimum of 8 years of progressive and comprehensive design experience in the Civil/Structural engineering field.
- In depth technical knowledge in civil/structural engineering design relevant to electrical utility power system at voltage up to 500kV
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Outlook and Microsoft PowerPoint
- Familiarity with CAD systems and Civil/Structural drawing standards
- Ability to use standard industry design/analysis software (SAP2000, S-Concrete and S-Foundation, etc.) or hand calculations to effectively perform duties
- The successful candidate shall be able to demonstrate the following:
- Effective verbal and written communication skills in the English language including technical report writing and presentation
- Successful undertaking of multiple engineering assignments simultaneously
- A self-starter with initiative and good problem solving skills
- Strong interpersonal and organizational skills.
- This is a 12 month temporary opportunity with possibility of extension for another 12 months.
- May be required to occasionally travel to different areas of the province for emergency response and regular design related work.
- Candidates with lesser experience may be considered for a position appropriate to their level of experience.
- A condition of employment for this job is that you maintain your Driver's License: Class 5 In Good Standing
How to Apply
Interested candidates should submit their applications online at https://app.bchydro.com/careers/current_opp.html by July 1st, 2019.
Click here to access the job posting or visit the BC Hydro “Current Opportunities” Careers page to view and apply for jobs.
You must use a supported browser, such as Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google Chrome or Safari. Your pop up blocker will also need to be disabled for the BC Hydro Careers site.
On the BC Hydro Careers site, click on the Apply button in order to complete the steps to apply for this job. Please be sure to update your Candidate Profile with your current resume and include copies of your certifications, if applicable.
We're always looking for exceptional people to bring new ideas, fresh thinking and the motivation to help shape the electricity system in B.C. It's an exciting time to be a part of our team as we invest in our system and prepare to meet the challenges of tomorrow.
Our values guide our work. Want to join us?
We are safe.
We are here for our customers.
We are one team.
We act with integrity.
We respect our province.
We are forward thinking.
BC Hydro is an equal opportunity employer.
Job Types: Full-time, Temporary